RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE WEEK
This weekend, the New London music scene comes together to remember one of its own. Steve Kaika, bass player/singer/songwriter of New London’s favorite band the Reducers (www.thereducers.com), lost his battle with cancer early Tuesday morning. There will be a series of benefit shows for his wife and family on Friday night taking place in four different venues, all within the space of about two blocks, and featuring over a dozen local bands who have donated their time and energy to this worthwhile cause. (Japanese friends of the Reducers held a four-band benefit for Steve in Tokyo on June 2.) The main show takes place at the Hygienic Art Park, at 79 Bank Street, from 6-11 pm. There will be performances by the Original Sinners (Hugh Birdsall, Ben Parent, Jim Carpenter, and John Fries), Ken Atkins & the Honky Tonk Kind (http://www.kenatkins.com/), with Tom Trombley of the Reducers on drums, Dogbite (http://www.myspace.com/dogbitegrrr), which is Reducers guitarist Hugh Birdsall’s roots/americana band, and the Rivergods (www.therivergods.com/), well-known New London americana/alt-country band. There will be special guests, raffles, a silent auction, and merchandise (new t-shirts and CDs) for sale. Captain Scott’s Lobster Dock (www.captscotts.com/) will be selling lobster rolls and chowder, and there will be beverages available via a cash bar. Suggested donation is $10 and children are welcome with a parent or guardian. Tickets are available at the door and also in advance in New London at Caruso Music (www.carusomusic.com/), the Dutch Tavern (www.dutch-tavern.com/), and the Telegraph (www.telegraphnl.com/), or in Mystic at Imagine Fantasy Gifts (www.imaginemystic.com/) and the Mystic Disc (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mystic-Disc/299943149436). Donations can also be made via PayPal on the Reducers’ website (www.thereducers.com). Steve was a self-employed contractor and had been unable to work since becoming ill late last year. All proceeds from the show will go to Steve’s wife and family to cover the significant medical and other expenses incurred during his illness. Thank you to the following local businesses for their generosity in donating items for the raffle: Blissworks Yoga, Spa 264, Captain’s Pizza, Nancy’s, Joseph John Salon, Waterhouse Salon, Chaplin’s Restaurant, Recovery Room, Dutch Tavern, PINC!, Fiddleheads, Ocean Beach Park, Mystic Disc, Eugene O’Neill Theatre, and many of the community’s talented local artists and photographers. Please come out to share your memories of Steve, and be as generous as you can.
Immediately following the show at the Hygienic Art Park, there will be additional benefit shows at 33 Golden Street, the Oasis Pub, and the El ‘n’ Gee Club. All proceeds will be donated to the Kaika family. My band, Anne Castellano and the Smoke www.facebook.com/annecastellanoandthesmoke), will be playing at 33 Golden Street, along with the Rachel Carson Band (www.rachelcmusic.com), from Ellington, CT, and Catfish Phillips (http://www.reverbnation.com/catfishphillips). The Rachel Carson Band will go on first, right after the Art Park show ends. We’ll play second, and Catfish Phillips will close out the night. Cover is $5.
Right down the street at the El ‘n’ Gee Club (86 Golden Street), Dirt Road Radio (http://www.reverbnation.com/dirtroadradio), the Meadows Brothers (http://www.reverbnation.com/themeadowsbrothers), and Harper & Owens (http://www.harperandowens.com/) will be playing. Dirt Road Radio is up first at 10 pm (or more likely after the other show is over). Cover is $5.
Around the corner from both these clubs, the Oasis Pub (16 Bank Street) will host the recently reunited Incognito Sofa Love (https://www.facebook.com/sofalove), Burnouts From Outer Space (http://www.reverbnation.com/burnoutsfromouterspace), and Daphne Lee Martin (www.raisetherentmusic.com). The show will begin at 11 pm and cover is $5.
The New London music scene as we know it might not exist if it weren’t for the Reducers. They are the founding fathers who have inspired countless others in the area to form bands, write songs, and play shows, and they have given us 35 years’ worth of great music and fond memories.
Rest in peace, Steve. You will be missed.
Wed 6/13/12 – The Suicide Dolls, Ceremony, Living Laser, Screaming Females at the Space in Hamden
- Unpunked Series with Moe Porne, Kevin King, Jeffrey Thunders, Jimmy Jude at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
Thur 6/14/12 – Village Jammers at Sneekers Cafe in Groton 7-10 pm NO COVER
- Jim Carpenter and the Hoolios, Jake Carpenter and the MacLean Sisters at the Steak Loft in Mystic 7-10 pm NO COVER
- The Thor Jensen Group at the Knickerbocker Cafe in Westerly 8 pm NO COVER
- Goodnight Blue Moon, Matt Cranstoun at Elm Bar in New Haven NO COVER
- I Anbassa at McLevy Green in Bridgeport 5:30-7:30 pm
- 30th of February at Two Boots in Bridgeport 9 pm NO COVER
Fri 6/15/12 – Benefit for Steve Kaika’s family at the Hygienic Art Park in New London with the Rivergods, Dogbite, Ken Atkins & the Honky Tonk Kind, Original Sinners 6-11 pm
- Anne Castellano and the Smoke, the Rachel Carson Band, Catfish Phillips at 33 Golden Street in New London 11 pm (Benefit for Steve Kaika’s family)
- Daphne Lee Martin, Burnouts from Outer Space, Incognito Sofa Love at the Oasis Pub in New London 11 pm (Benefit for Steve Kaika’s family)
- Dirt Road Radio, the Meadows Brothers, Harper & Owens at the El ‘n’ Gee in New London 10 pm (Benefit for Steve Kaika’s family)
- Pat Daddona, the Meadows Brothers at Captain’s Pizza in New London 5-7 pm NO COVER
- Sarah Lou Richards, Mike Clifford at Cafe Nine in New Haven 7 pm
- Christina Harris, Luke Elliot at Cafe Nine in New Haven 10 pm
Sat 6/16/12 – Paul Brockett Roadshow, the Throttles at 33 Golden Street in New London 9:30 pm
- Babement, Dead Wives, Two Inch Astronaut at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
- NO! at Elm Bar in New Haven
- Washboard Slim & the Bluelights, Amalgamated Muck at the Outer Space in Hamden
Wed 6/20/12 – Jeff the Brotherhood, Uncle Bad Touch, 2 Ton Bug at Cafe Nine in New Haven 8 pm
Thur 6/21/12 – J.C. Hatfield at Sneekers Cafe in Groton 7-10 pm NO COVER
- Burrows, Gates of Ivory at Elm Bar in New Haven NO COVER
- Baby Grand at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
- The Mallett Brothers Band, Poor Old Shine, A Paper Tugboat, Saara Markkanen at the Outer Space in Hamden 7:30 pm
- Kristen Graves, Brian Dolzani, Glenn Roth at Two Boots in Bridgeport 9 pm NO COVER
Fri 6/22/12 – Uncle Flatty at the Bank Street Cafe in New London
- The Weird Beards, Resident Alien at the El ‘n’ Gee in New London 7 pm
- The Proud Flesh, Speakeasy, Heads With Wings, White Walls at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
- Reagan Youth at Elm Bar in New Haven
- Commercial Interruption, the Radiation, Stupidity at Two Boots in Bridgeport 9 pm
Sat 6/23/12 – The Fabulous Thunderbirds at the Wolf Den in Uncasville 8 pm
- The Clams at Walnut Beach in Madison 3 pm
- The Old Edison, Sean Conlon at Elm Bar in New Haven
Sun 6/24/12 – The Hempsteadys, Riki Rocksteady and the Arraignments, the Snails, Sammy Kay, Chilled Money Brains, Pickpocket at the El ‘n’ Gee in New London 7 pm
- Daphne Lee Martin & Raise the Rent at Two Boots in Bridgeport 4 pm NO COVER
Photo Credits: Wailing City Photography (Meghan Killimade) http://www.wailingcity.com/