by Lisa Sanchez Gonzalez
Twitter at @lsgoriginal
Local Band Review like to lend our services to many fundraising, benefit-type events. I had the pleasure of participating in one last Saturday when Artists for World Peace (http://artistsforworldpeace.org/) presented Dance for Peace at the Charter Oak Cultural Community Center. Founded by the wonderfully inspiring, Wendy Black-Nasta, this Middletown non-profit raises funds for humanitarian causes locally and internationally with the assistance of many artists and performers. This particular event was put on to raise money to build maize grinding machines for a village in Kibosho, Tanzania. The nearest corn grinding machine is located 6 miles from the village. Without this machine, village women must carry 50 lb sacks of corn
the 12 miles in order to grind corn for their families. Three SWANs (Support Women Artists Now) participated in this event – Jennifer Hill (MC for the evening); Sarah E. of Hells Bells Productions (videographer), and, of course, me (photography). The evening was a beautiful and successful event. Please enjoy the pictures and consider a donation.
For more photographs of this event, go to (https://www.facebook.com/lsgoriginal)
After the event on Saturday, I headed to my local watering hole, Center Station in Berlin, to check out Fast Lane. Fast Lane is a terrific cover band specializing in classic and southern rock along with dance and funk. They kept the crowd on the dance floor with a good mix of rock and dance tunes. Check them out at (http://fastlaneband.net/)
And speaking of SWANs…Jennifer Hill & Company participated in a cool event last night in Manchester as they celebrated Manchester with Imagine on Main Street. The event encompassed a portion of Main Street with shops open late and artists and musicians playing and displaying work along the sidewalks and businesses. JH&C performed a set and announced the winner of the SWAN Day 2012 grant. Talented local artist, Kerry Kozaczuk, won based on the merits of her written essay submitted to SWAN. Her grant will go towards a very much needed printer for her work. In addition to the money from SWAN, Artists for World Peacealso put in some additional funds for Kerry. Congrats to Kerry and thanks to all who participated in and attended SWAN and to Artists for World Peace for their generosity.
We had a great time Tuesday night with John Fries from John Fries and the Heat on Scene Queen lsg. We hadn’t done one in some time and we experienced a few technical difficulties so we had to tape it. John sang two songs from his new album, US 50. Check him out Saturday night at Black Eyed Sally’s in Hartford.
The Outlaw Roadshow/Counting Crows tour is hitting CT on June 12 at the Ives Concert Park in Danbury. lsg original photography will be photographing the show exclusively for tour sponsor, Ryan’s Smashing Life (http://www.countingcrows.com/) . Produced by Manic Productions, tickets can be purchased via (http://manicproductions.org/)
A couple of shows and notes for this week…
- Amanda Shires and Jason Isbell are playing TONIGHT at The Wadsworth in Hartford. I interviewed Amanda last week for lsg spot. She’s amazing and you should check out the show!
- Our friends, 1974, are releasing a new CD on Saturday night. Check them out (and pick it up!) at Zen Bar in Bristol. Local favorites, who have a newly announced bass player, Little Ugly will also play in celebration of the new CD from 1974
Support LOCAL! And, as always…
Occupy a VENUE!!
“Spot”light on… The Guru
I had an EPIC FAIL this week as I realized that I taped over my interview with Kyle McEvoy of The Guru. I had 2 interviews in one day, his being the first, and I apparently haven’t done that yet. I’m sorry that I had to have a lesson-learned with his interview. Kyle and the rest of The Guru: I suck. But I will make it up to you.
In the meantime, you should check out their web site (above), like their Facebook page, and GO SEE THEM tonight (6.8.2012) when they play Arch Street Tavern in Hartford with Echo and Drake and Move Out West. You can get your tickets here
HOT local video of the week…Camacho, Poe Swayzie, Jaszmine Viciousz
Critic’s Award winners for Best Collaboration of the Year for this song (and Camacho for Best Hip Hop/R&B) at the 2012 Whalie Awards, I was captivated by their performance at the show. This trio represent what’s excellent about the music scene in New London, CT and specifically New London Hip Hop. The song is hot and Jaszmine Viciousz is completely bad ass. Enjoy!
What’s Playing in “The Flounce”? The Suicide Dolls
(Music in my car CD player this week!)
**** Special Warning for this CD: Contents may make you drive well beyond the speed limit. I know. Thank God I didn’t make it into any speed traps!
Band: the Suicide Dolls
Album: Prayers in Parking Lots
Genre: Experimental Garage Pop
Fave Track: Brand New and Close By
What’s HOT this week…
Friday June 8
* Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires, The Wadsworth, Hartford – 6:00 pm
* Echo & Drake, Move Out West, and The Guru, Arch Street Tavern, Hartford – 9:00 pm
* Sue Menhart Band, Burke’s, Niantic – :00 pm
* Gigglejuice with Shakedown, Toad’s Place, New Haven – 8:30 pm
* Full Blast Movement including dUECE bUG, Two Boots, Bridgeport – 9:00 pm
* Quintera, Blackboard, Windsor Locks – 9:30 pm
* Drive Time, The Green Line, Wolcott – 9:30 pm
* Driven, Blackstone Irish Pub, Southington – 10:00 pm
Saturday June 9
* John Fries and the Heat, Black Eyed Sally’s, Hartford – 10:00 pm
* Michael Cleary Band, Up or On the Rocks, Hartford – 10:00 pm
* Sue Menhart Band, Sneekers, Groton – 9:00 pm
* 1974 CD Release Party, Zen Bar, Bristol – 9:00 pm
* Vengeance, Toad’s Place, New Haven – 7:00 pm
* Ideat Village Fundraiser w Farewood, Sidewalk Dave, et al, Café 9, New Haven – 9:00 pm
* Nasty Disaster, Elm Bar, New Haven – 9:00 pm
* Bad Rooster, Downtown Cafe, Bristol - 9:30 pm
Sunday June 10
* Waking Elliot, Six Flags New England, Agawam, MA – 3 shows starting at 1:30 pm
* Manic Productions presents King Tuff w/ Habibi, Medication& Jacques Le Coque, InterCambio, New Haven – 8:00 pm
Wednesday June 13
* Manic Productions presents Ceremony w Living Laser & Suicide Dolls, The The Space, Hamden – 7:00 pm
* Manic Productions presents A Great Big Pile of Leaves, Wess Meets West, and Breakthrough Frequencies, Bar, New Haven – 9:00 pm
Thursday June 14
* Jill Sobule, Chrissy Gardner, and Daphne Lee Martin, The Outer Space, Hamden – 7:00 pm