RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE WEEK
The first weekend of March promises to be a busy one, with good live bands at just about every venue in the New London area. I need to warn you of some blatant self-promotion, because the first show I’m going to recommend is my own. On Friday night, the big show is at the Bank Street Cafe in New London, with Anne Castellano and the Smoke (https://www.facebook.com/AnneCastellanoAndTheSmoke), Street People (https://www.facebook.com/streetpeoplemusic?ref=ts&fref=ts), and the Bud Collins Trio (http://www.reverbnation.com/budcollinstrio. Street People (Matt Potter, Jared Horner, Sebastian Coppotelli, and Jordan Harrelson) is one of the hottest bands in town right now. The Bud Collins Trio have recently reunited after a very long hiatus, and they are now an actual trio, for the first time in the band’s history. As for my band, I think we are pretty good, so you should come out to this show. The Bud Collins Trio will kick things off at 10 pm, followed by Street People, with Anne Castellano and the Smoke closing out the show. Admission is $5.
Also on Friday night, Home Body (http://home-body.bandcamp.com/), Modern Primates (https://www.facebook.com/ModernPrimates), Hurricane Me, and False Mermaid (http://www.reverbnation.com/falsemermaid) will play a show at 33 Golden Street in New London. Be sure to catch Liz Larson and Danny Spurr playing out with their respective bands (False Mermaid and Modern Primates) before they become parents (soon!). Cover is $5 and the show starts at 9 pm.
Around the corner at the Bulkeley House, John Fries and his band (www.johnfriesmusic.com) will be performing on Friday. The Bulkeley House recently opened a new upstairs room, which has a great ambience and also has its own bar. It’s a good space to relax and listen to music, and the kitchen is open too. There is no cover charge and the show starts at 9 pm.
On Saturday night, there’s a big show at the German Club in Mystic with five bands: Slander (http://www.portfire.org/slander/), Art of Kanly (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-of-Kanly/270227866352384), Riftreaper (https://www.facebook.com/Riftreaper), Hard Plastic Buttons (http://www.portfire.org/hard-plastic-buttons/), Johnny’s Mobil (https://www.facebook.com/JohnnysMobil), and Anderson Family Picnic (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anderson-Family-Picnic/129579667053644). The show is being held in memory of Otto, a golden retriever known as the “Mayor of Mystic”. Start time is 7 pm sharp (doors at 6:30), with a minimum entry fee of $5 at the door. As far as I know it’s all ages.
Also on Saturday, the El ‘n’ Gee Club in New London will host an all ages punk show with White Bronco, Rusty Things (https://www.facebook.com/Rustythings?fref=ts), Ask the Dead (https://www.facebook.com/askthedead?group_id=0), Oh the Humanity (https://www.facebook.com/OHTHEHUMANITYMA?group_id=0), and Wrist Like This (https://www.facebook.com/wrist.likethis?fref=ts). Admission is $5 for those over 21 and $8 for under 21. Showtime is 8:30 pm.
Here’s Street People with their video for “Street 103″:
Thur 2/28/13 - Sandman and friends at Sneekers Cafe in Groton 7-10 pm NO COVER
- Howl, David Carradine, Heavy Breath, Hivesmasher at the El ‘n’ Gee in New London 8 pm
- Peripatetic, Michael James Anderson, Patterns and Static at Cafe Nine in New Haven 8 pm
- Rusty Things, Horns of Ormus, Big Moon at the Outer Space in Hamden
- The Weird Beards, Straight to VHS at Two Boots in Bridgeport 9 pm NO COVER
- The Three Weeled Fonk Cirkis, Ten Foot Polecats at Black Eyed Sally’s in Hartford 8 pm
Fri 3/1/13 – Anne Castellano and the Smoke, Street People, the Bud Collins Trio at the Bank Street Cafe in New London 10 pm
- John Fries at the Bulkeley House in New London 9 pm
- Home Body, Modern Primates, Hurricane Me, False Mermaid at 33 Golden Street in New London 9 pm
- Sue Menhart Band at Stash’s Cafe in New London 6:30 pm
- Vince Thompson and friends at Steak Loft in Mystic 7-10 pm
- The Hoolios at the Norwich Arts Center 7 pm
- The Weird Beards, Straight to VHS at the High Noon Saloon in Norwich 8 pm
- Uncle Flatty at the Stomping Grounds in Putnam 8 pm
- MOTO, Medication at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
Sat 3/2/13 – White Bronco, Rusty Things, Ask the Dead, Oh! The Humanity, Wrist Like This at the El ‘n’ Gee in New London 8:30 pm
- Slander, Art of Kanly, Riftreaper, Hard Plastic Buttons, Johnny’s Mobil, Anderson Family Picnic at the German Club in Mystic 7 pm *VENUE CHANGE*
- John Fries, Roomful of Blues at the Fairfield Theater Company Stage 1 7 pm
- Emerge Festival with Sidewalk Dave, Daphne Lee Martin, Jose Oyola & The Astronauts, Fake Babies, Modern Merchant, Elison Jackson, Little Ugly at Arch Street Tavern in Hartford 8:30 pm
Sun 3/3/13 – Emerge Festival with Ports of Spain, Oh Cassius!, Sun Dagger, Bedroom Rehab Corporation, 1974, Atrina at Arch Street Tavern in Hartford 8 pm
Wed 3/6/13 – The Spring Standards, Golden Bloom, the Backyard Committee at Cafe Nine in New Haven 7 pm
Thur 3/7/13 – Brian McKenzie at Sneekers Cafe in Groton 7-10 pm NO COVER
- Drive-By Truckers at Toad’s Place in New Haven
- The Skatalites at Black Eyed Sally’s in Hartford 8 pm
Fri 3/8/13 – Nancy Parent at the Mohegan Sun Cabaret Theater 8-9 pm
- Wrist Like This, Lost Riots, Defcon 5, Sadplant, Catholic Guilt, Empty Vessels at 33 Golden Street in New London 9 pm sharp
- Chris Berardo & the DesBerardos at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
- John Fries at the Maple Tree in Simsbury 9 pm
Sat 3/9/13 – The Suicide Dolls, New Highway Hymnal, Ovlov at the Oasis Pub in New London
- John Fries at the Black Sheep in Niantic 9 pm
- Sue Menhart at the Common Loon in East Lyme 9 pm
- The Manchurians, Party Horse, the Radiation at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
Sun 3/10/13 – Ron Gletherow, Mike Bailey, the Piranha Brothers at Captain’s Pizza in New London 5:30-7:30 pm
- The Butcher Boys, Bold Ruckus at Cafe Nine in New Haven 4 pm