RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE WEEK
The upcoming weekend looks to be a quiet one. On Thursday night, the Village Jammers (http://www.reverbnation.com/villagejammers) will play their regular monthly show at Sneekers Cafe in Groton. This band is a winning combination of talented players and great songs. There is no cover and the band performs from 7 to 10 pm.
On Friday night, John Fries (www.johnfriesmusic.com) and Corina Malbaurn will play as an acoustic duo in the lounge at La Luna Ristorante in Mystic. The show starts at 9 pm.
Also on Friday, it’s Jeffrey Thunders’ birthday celebration at Cafe Nine in New Haven. The show features two bands each from sister cities New Haven and New London: the Vultures (http://www.myspace.com/thevultures), the Lost Riots (https://www.facebook.com/TheLostRiots) , Fatal Film (www.fatalfilm.com), and the Hempsteadys (http://www.reverbnation.com/thehempsteadys). Thunders, who is also a member of The Black Noise Scam, is the lead vocalist and guitarist for garage punk band the Lost Riots. The band also features Sean Beirne (Battlecats, Joanie Loves Tchotchkes, Death to New England) on lead guitar. Jeff also has excellent taste in music, so you know it will be a great night of punk, garage, and dirty reggae. The show starts at 9 pm.
On Saturday night at the Bank Street Cafe in New London, there is a three band bill with Flesh Hammer (http://www.fleshhammer.com/home.htm), Someone You Can X-Ray (https://www.facebook.com/SomeoneYouCanXray?ref=ts&fref=ts), and the Civil Warblers (http://civilwarblers.bandcamp.com/). Someone You Can X-Ray is a new band from Essex who describe their music as “Rock N’ Roll psychedelic blues raggae fusion with a little funk”. The Civil Warblers are a country-folk-punk band from Boston, who are also playing at the El ‘n’ Gee in New London on Friday night. New London area punks Flesh Hammer are still going strong after almost 30 years together. It’s a diverse collection of bands so there should be something for just about everyone. Cover is $5 and the show starts at 10 pm.
The Weird Beards (www.weirdbeards.com) will continue their Sunday night residency at 33 Golden Street in New London this week. They are playing at 33 every Sunday night in March. The Weird Beards Medicine show promises a cure for whatever ails you, including but not limited to “Brain Troubles, Headaches, Sea Sickness, Nervous Debility, Sleeplessness, Excessive Mania Over Brainwork, etc. etc. etc…” Did I mention that this band is also a lot of fun? They are. Start time is 10 pm.
Here are the Lost Riots with “Go”:
Thur 3/14/13 – Village Jammers at Sneekers Cafe in Groton 7-10 pm NO COVER
- Mary Gauthier, Scott and Joanna at Cafe Nine in New Haven 8 pm
- Party Horse, White Women, Food at Two Boots in Bridgeport 9 pm NO COVER
Fri 3/15/13 – Civil Warblers, Folk Y’all, Mark Leonard, Matt & Adam, Eric William at the El ‘n’ Gee in New London
- John Fries at La Luna in Mystic 9 pm (acoustic duo with Corina)
- The Vultures, Fatal Film, the Lost Riots, the Hempsteadys at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
- Marc Erelli, Frank Critelli at the Outer Space in Hamden 7 pm
Sat 3/16/13 – Flesh Hammer, Someone You Can X-Ray, Civil Warblers at the Bank Street Cafe in New London 10 pm
- Steve Broderick, Seth Adam, Chaser Eight featuring Audra at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
Sun 3/17/13 – The Weird Beards at 33 Golden Street in New London 10 pm
Tues 3/19/13 – Big Charlie’s Rubber Band at Cafe Nine in New Haven 8 pm
Wed 3/20/13 – Sarah Lou Richards, Marjory Lee, Joy Ike at Cafe Nine in New Haven 8 pm
Thur 3/21/13 – JC Hatfield at Sneekers Cafe in Groton 7-10 pm NO COVER
- Woody Pines, Brownbird Rudy Relic at Black Eyed Sally’s in Hartford 8 pm
- The Park, Grimm Generation at Two Boots in Bridgeport 9 pm NO COVER
Fri 3/22/13 – Dogbite at the Bank Street Cafe in New London 6-9 pm
- DYS, Empty Vessels, Opposition Rising, Catholic Guilt, Red Line Rebels, M-13, the Enemy Within at the El ‘n’ Gee in New London 6 pm
- Zoo Front, Electric Dawn at Javapalooza in Middletown 7:30 pm
- The Mountain Movers, Landing, Human Pontiac at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
Sat 3/23/13 – Horns of Ormus, A Honey Wagon, Lamb Bombs at 33 Golden Street in New London
- Mount Moriah, Blessed Feathers, Daphne Lee Martin at Cafe Nine in New Haven 9 pm
- Seth Tiven, Michael Carlucci, Warren Zanes, Matt Davis at Never Ending Books in New Haven 7 pm
Sun 3/24/13 - The Weird Beards at 33 Golden Street in New London 10 pm